Losing your pet can be a very stressful and emotional time. We hope you find this information useful and informative, because the best thing you can do for any animal, whether your pet is lost or you’ve found a lost pet, is to act fast.
What To Do If You’ve Lost Your Pet
Your first step is to find out whether or not the animal is at one of the local animal shelters. Since shelters are required to only hold a lost or found pet for three days if the animal is healthy, you’ll need to act quickly. After that time your pet will be considered for immediate placement or humanely euthanized. If your pet has a microchip, call the microchip company to update your information.
Review photos of stray animals at each shelter (available via the links below). If your animal is not listed, visit each shelter to file a lost pet report.
Click here to visit the lost and found animals held at the Sacramento SPCA.
Below are links to the other shelters located in the Sacramento area:
- City of Sacramento Front Street Shelter Note: you will be leaving the Sacramento SPCA website after clicking on this link.
- Sacramento County Animal Care and Regulation (Bradshaw Rd.) Note: you will be leaving the Sacramento SPCA website after clicking on this link.
If your pet is not at any of the local animal shelters, begin communicating to your local community that s/he is missing.
- Canvas the neighborhood calling for your pet. Check with your neighbors and nearby local businesses. Don’t forget social media! This can be a great tool.
- Make flyers with your pet’s photograph to post around your neighborhood. Include your pet’s name, photograph and description, along with your name, address, and contact information.
- Watch the found pets column on Craigslist and in the Sacramento Bee and other local newspapers, as well as websites like Next Door.
- Keep looking. Often, pets aren’t found immediately, but with your persistence may have an increased chance of being reunited with your family.
- You may file a lost pet report online with us here.
Additional Resources for Searching for a Lost Pet
- FidoFinder.com – For Dogs
- TabbyTracker.com – For Cats