Found Pets


How to help a pet that you have found

If you have found wildlife, please visit the Wildlife Care Association website for more information, click here.

If the pet does not have an ID tag or license, bring him or her to a local veterinarian or animal shelter to be scanned for a microchip. If the animal has a microchip, please go to PetMicrochipLookup to contact the microchip company for possible owner information. If no microchip is found, please consider the following before bringing it to an animal shelter:

Care for the animal until you can find his/her owner.

Contact all local animal shelters and complete a found pet report. Don’t forget to include a photo: Sacramento SPCA Found Pet Report

Create flyers with a photo of the animal, the date and location it was found, and your contact information to post around your neighborhood and with nearby businesses. Ensure the safety of the pet by requiring proof of ownership (photo and vet records or other documentation) for anyone who inquires about the pet.

Place a found advertisement on social media (including Facebook’s Sacramento Lost & Found pages), NextDoor, Craigslist and in the newspaper.

Upload a photo to Finding Rover.

If you are unable to care for the pet before its owner is found

By law, stray animals must be cared for by the agency funded to provide them care. Please bring the animal, during regular business hours, to the appropriate shelter.

The information below is subject to change. Please visit their website for current information.

Found In Bring To Website/EMail Phone
City of Sacramento**

City of Sacramento Animal Services
(Front Street Shelter)

2127 Front Street

City of Sacramento Lost/Found link
Sacramento County*
Sacramento County Animal Care
(Bradshaw Shelter)

3839 Bradshaw Road
Unincorporated Sacramento County Lost/Found link
(916) 368-7387
Citrus Heights

Placer County Animal Services
(not Placer SPCA)

11232 B Ave
Auburn, CA 95603

Citrus Heights Animal Services link
(916) 725-7387
Elk Grove

Elk Grove Animal Shelter

9150 Union Park Way, Elk Grove, CA 95624

Elk Grove Animal Services link (916) 687-3042
After hours: (916) 714-5115
Rancho Cordova Sacramento SPCA
6201 Florin-Perkins Road
City of Rancho Cordova Animal Services link (916) 851-8852
Folsom Sacramento SPCA
6201 Florin-Perkins Road
Folsom Animal Services link
(916) 355-7230
Roseville Placer SPCA
150 Corporation Yard Road
City of Roseville Animal Control link
(916) 782-7722
Yolo County Yolo County Animal Services
140 Tony Diaz
Yolo County Animal Services link
(530) 668-5287

*Noted by white street signs.
**Noted by green street signs.

You may file a found pet report with us online (see previous page) or click here to fill out a paper found pet report with the Sacramento SPCA. We will keep your report for 30 days.