Wellness Clinic Veterinarian – Temporary Position
Job Title: Wellness Clinic Veterinarian - Temporary Position
Department: Animal Health
Reports To: Animal Health Practice Manager/Chief of Surgery
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Temporary Position
Schedule: Varies (shifts available Sundays, Mondays, and/or Tuesdays – 10:00 am – 4:30 pm)
The wellness clinic veterinarian position is a key position in the Sacramento SPCA’s quest to offer the Sacramento community access to high-quality/ low-cost veterinary care. This position performs physical exams and basic medical care (non-urgent, non-emergent, non-critical, non-surgical) on cats, dogs and occasionally rabbits during scheduled Sacramento SPCA Wellness clinic events. Additionally, wellness clinic veterinarians may be required to help with shelter medicine cases on occasion.
General Position Requirements
- Responsible for maintaining a current veterinary license in good standing with the California Veterinary Medical Board.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and willing and able to comply with all safety laws, safety policies and rules, and be willing to report safety violations to supervisor or management.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas.
Essential Job Functions
- Determine overall animal health and nature of disease or injury by completing a thorough physical exam
- Restore health by medically treating animals for minor (non-urgent, non-emergent, non-critical, non-surgical) ailments and/or injuries
- Prescribe appropriate medications (as needed) in compliance with applicable State and Federal regulations.
- Test for and vaccinate against diseases in dogs and cats
- Complete appropriate medical records to document all findings and actions
- Deliver excellent customer service through client education (overall animal health, benefits of spay/neuter, preventatives, proper husbandry, etc.) and recognize opportunities to promote other SSPCA services as needed (spay/neuter clinic, behavior consultations and training, etc.)
- Enhance wellness clinic reputation by taking pride and ownership in work and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
- Assists with shelter medicine cases when needed, particularly when the Shelter Medicine Veterinarian is unavailable.
- Helps ensure the safe storage, access, and use of vaccines and non-controlled drugs in compliance with applicable State and Federal regulations.
- Ability to work efficiently within a designated time limit while maintaining excellent customer service and wellness clinic team morale.