New Adoption Process
What you need to know about same-day appointments
In an effort to streamline pet adoptions for our community and help find more homes for the animals at the shelter, effective November 1, 2020, we have updated the adoption process to same-day appointment scheduling.
We recently tested this new system during two adoption events in October and the results were incredibly positive: it provided a faster process for adopters and more animals found new homes!
That’s not to say there weren’t a few hiccups along the way. We’ve made some adjustments based on feedback from the events and we are continuing to explore new ways to make the adoption experience even better!
To help you navigate this new process, here are the answers to some frequently asked questions:
How does the new process work?
- If you see an animal you would like to meet, you can schedule a same-day appointment by clicking the appointment link for dogs, cats or small animals.
- New appointment times to meet adoptable animals will be posted daily at 9:00AM and tend to fill up quickly. Please check back often for openings in the schedule due to cancellations.
- Animals are available for adoption on a first-come, first-served basis. Please check the website before you arrive for you appointment to be sure the animal you are interested in is still available. If the animal has already been adopted (removed from the website) and you do not wish to meet with a different animal, please cancel your appointment.
- Upon arrival, our shelter staff will let you know what animals are available and any special considerations the animal might have.
- Once you have finished a counsel and an animal meet-and-greet, you will be able to take your new furry friend home!
How many appointment times are available each day?
- The number of appointments each day will vary depending on availability of adoptable animals and staff. Typically, fewer appointments are available Sunday – Tuesday and more appointments available Wednesday - Saturday.
The appointments fill up quickly after going live at 9:00AM – how can I secure an appointment time?
- We recommend that you click on the appointment link before 9:00AM to register/login to your account profile, which requires you verify your new account via email the first time you sign in. You’ll only have to do this once, but taking care of this step in advance will allow you to quickly choose an appointment time at 9:00AM.
Can I place a hold on a specific animal?
- Animals are available for adoption on a first-come, first-served basis. Please check the website before you arrive for your appointment to be sure the animal you are interested in is still available. If the animal has already been adopted (removed from the website) and you do not wish to meet with a different animal, please cancel your appointment.
May I walk through the kennels to view adoptable animals?
- Due to current COVID-19 safety protocols, our adoption counselors will arrange for you to meet privately with the available animal of your choice. We hope to once again allow adopters to browse through our kennels when restrictions are lifted.
Will I be able to meet multiple animals during my visit?
- To keep the process streamlined for our adopters, we ask that you have an idea about which animal you wish to meet with before you arrive (from viewing adoptable animals and their bios on our website). If the animal you are interested in is adopted before you arrive or it is not a good fit for your family, our adoption staff can assist you with meeting a different animal.
Can I bring my dog to the shelter to meet the new dog I’m interested in adopting?
- Due to current COVID-19 safety protocols, we are asking that adopters please leave their other pets at home. Our adoption counselors will be happy to discuss your pet’s individual needs and provide you with information on how to properly introduce new pets into the household.
How do I schedule an appointment if I do not have a home computer or smartphone with internet access?
- If you are not able to access our website from an internet connected device that either you, a family member or a friend owns, please contact our adoption center at (916) 504-2854.