Assistant Camp Counselor -
Volunteer Assistant Camp Counselors are needed for the Summer 2013 sessions of Camp Kindness at the Sacramento SPCA.
Assistant Camp Counselors will work under the supervision of the SPCA’s Humane Education Manager and will assist with all aspects of Camp Kindness. Duties will include daily set-up and clean-up, assisting campers with craft projects, distributing snacks and other materials, assisting with supervision of animal encounters, and taking out adoptable cats, kittens and puppies for the campers to socialize.
To apply for an Assistant Camp Counselor position, please read the following qualifications and information carefully.
You must be available to volunteer for at least 1 of the following sessions:
|1||June 10 – 14||10 – 12|
|2||June 17 – 21||7 – 9|
|3||June 24 – 28||10 – 12|
|4||July 8 – 12||7 – 9|
|5||July 15 – 19||10 – 12|
|6||July 22 – 26||7 – 9|
Qualifications and Information
- Applicants must be at least 14 years old. Sorry, but no exceptions to the age requirement will be made. This program is designed for teens; anyone aged 18 or older will be asked to undergo a full background check, including fingerprinting, at the SPCA’s expense.
- Applicants should have a positive attitude and enjoy working with children and animals. Experience with child care (such as babysitting) and animals (this could include your own pets, or previous attendance at Camp Kindness) is a plus.
- Only two to three Assistant Camp Counselors are needed for each session. Not all applicants will be selected to participate. Please do not sign up with a friend unless you are certain that the two of you can work independently.
- Applicants must be available for at least 1 of the week-long camp sessions.
- You must be able to arrive at 8:15 a.m. and stay until 12:45 p.m. each day.
- You must be available for an in-person interview at the Sacramento SPCA in May, if needed. Interviews will be conducted on a weekday (after school).
- There will be a mandatory training for all selected Assistant Camp Counselors on Thursday, May 30 at 4:15 PM. The training will take about one hour. Please do not apply if you are not available to attend this training.
- Be prepared: Assistant Camp Counselors will work hard! There may be opportunities for you to participate in some camp activities yourself, but only after all the campers have been taken care of, and only with the permission of the Humane Education Specialist. Your primary role will be as an Assistant Camp Counselor, not as a participant. (We’ll still have fun, but you should expect to work hard, too!)
- The deadline to submit your application is May 27, 2013. Please submit early, though — we may stop accepting applications after a certain number are received.
When your application is received, please allow 7 days to receive confirmation by mail. If your application is complete and you meet the requirements for the position, you will be contacted to schedule an in-person interview, unless you have previously attended Camp Kindness or volunteered as an assistant counselor.
If you have questions, or if you have difficulty downloading an application and would like one sent to you by mail, please contact Dee Dee Drake, the SSPCA’s Humane Education Manager, at (916) 504-2849, or email humane education (preferred).