Dog training classes
The Sacramento SPCA Training Center is here to help you have a lifelong, positive relationship with your pet. We can help you achieve the best for your pet through positive reinforcement training methods. Join us for the next available session that meets your needs.
What You Need To Know Before Registering:
All classes are held at the Sacramento SPCA Training Center at 6201 Florin-Perkins Rd, Sacramento.
One night a week for six continuous weeks. Classes are an hour in length, except for the two-hour orientation for Basic class. You will receive information about the orientation session in your registration confirmation email. Do not bring your dog to the orientation session.
Attendance of Week 1 (orientation) and Week 2 is mandatory to move forward in Basic class. Failure to attend those first two weeks will result in cancellation of your non-refundable registration.
For your dog’s protection all dogs entering the training school must be fully vaccinated against rabies, distemper and parvovirus. For dogs 4 months and older, proof of current vaccinations is required during your first session. Puppies 10 to 16 weeks old may attend Puppy class without full vaccinations.
Class Participant Guidelines
Children may attend class with an adult, but must be nine years of age or older. In order to get the maximum benefit from this class, participants should be able to handle the physical requirements and energy level of their dog. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Walk two blocks without assistance.
- Maintain balance while walking the dog on leash, even when the dog is pulling in the other direction.
- Flexibility to bend/stoop in order to place dog in position on the ground.
For individuals who do not meet these guidelines, you may opt for a private session so that we can focus exclusively on you and your dog. Choke chains and prong collars are not permitted on dogs entering the Sacramento SPCA Training Center.
Disruptive Dog Policy
While we make every reasonable effort to accommodate excited/reactive dogs in the class environment, if your dog is too disruptive we may ask you to do a smaller number of private sessions to be scheduled by your instructor.
- Notification of cancellation must be received at least one (1) week prior to the first class session for a 50% refund.
- Cancellations received between one (1) week and 48 hours prior to the first class session will receive a 25% refund.
- No refunds will be given for cancellations less than 48 hours prior to the first class session or no-shows.
- No refunds will be given for failure to adhere to the attendance policy (above).
- No refunds will be given for mandatory City or County of Sacramento or Sacramento SPCA training classes.
- Basic classes: $109 for the entire six-week session; $95 for dogs adopted from the Sacramento SPCA or the city or county shelters
- Intermediate and Tricks Classes: $80 for entire 6-week session; $75 for dogs adopted from the Sacramento SPCA or the city or county shelters
- Seniors: $75 for any class
- Canine Good Citizen: $30 for any dog