Wellness Clinic Veterinary Assistant – Temporary Position
Job Title: Wellness Clinic Veterinary Assistant – Temporary Position
Department: Spay Clinic
Reports To: Animal Health Practice Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Temporary Position
Schedule: Sundays, Mondays, and/or Tuesdays (10:00am – 4:30pm)
The Veterinary Assistant position is a key position in the Sacramento SPCA’s quest to deliver high-quality medical services to the animals in our care. The primary responsibility for the veterinary assistant is to assist the veterinarian in physical exams, restraint, handling and the administration of medications while working in the wellness clinic. This position is also responsible for the sterile, sanitary, and efficient operation of the SSPCA Spay and Neuter Clinic and assisting the staff veterinarians in the primary care and treatment of pre-operative and post-operative surgery animals. This is a temporary position for the 2018 calendar year while the Sacramento SPCA expands our public facing medical services.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in the preparation of the Clinic for exams/surgery
- Provides support to the Staff Veterinarians.
- Takes temperature, pulse and respiration.
- Under supervision of a RVT, administers pharmaceuticals such as medications and vaccines.
- Collects and prepares blood, urine, and feces samples.
- Performs various procedures under the direct supervision of a Staff Veterinarian or RVT such as intramuscular, intravenous and subcutaneous injections
- Maintains cleanliness of the surgery room and other related areas, to provide a safe, clean and sterile environment.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
- Deliver excellent customer service through client education (overall animal health, benefits of spay/neuter, preventatives, proper husbandry, etc.) and recognize opportunities to promote other SSPCA services as needed (spay/neuter clinic, behavior consultations and training, etc.)
- Enhance wellness clinic reputation by taking pride and ownership in work and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
- Helps ensure the safe storage, access, and use of vaccines and non-controlled drugs in compliance with applicable State and Federal regulations.
- Ability to work efficiently within a designated time limit while maintaining excellent customer service
- Must follow all SSPCA cleaning protocols (frequency, duration, disinfecting agents, etc.)