Job Title: Volunteer Recruiter
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Human Resources Generalist
FLSA Status: Exempt
To develop and maintain a volunteer (groups and individuals) recruitment and retention program that meets departmental, program and service needs. Includes expanding the Organization’s community of supporters by offering a quality experience through volunteerism.
Under supervision, this position performs work of moderate difficulty in human resources and benefits administration and performs related work as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Customer Service: Provides and models timely, polite, and respectful internal and external customer service regardless of the circumstances. Must remain calm, flexible, and willing to see other perspectives. Assure that every individual who enters our Organization is recognized and treated as a potential donor. Serve as role model for the support of a positive workplace culture.
2. Program Leadership, Assessment & Development. Researches and shares best practices and stays abreast of volunteer trends. Serves as an advocate for volunteers and for the organization by analyzing and evaluating all aspects of the volunteer program and recommends improvements to managers.
3. Volunteer Recruitment & Retention. Responsible for expanding the number and variety of volunteers with increased length in service through relationship building and ensuring quality training and supervision. Develops an annual recruitment program that includes outreach to civic, business and other groups. Responds to inquiries about volunteer opportunities.
4. Department Support Services. Trains staff on best practices of volunteer management including effective utilization, training and retention of volunteers.
5. Orientation. Responsible for each volunteer’s orientation to the Organization including introduction to the organization, general orientation, coordination of specialized training, and facilitation of ongoing training as needed.
6. Placement & Scheduling. Matches volunteer interests and skills with appropriate department by staying abreast of specific skills and needs of each department. Responsible for recruitment of all trainings, reports class counts and works to maximize attendance. Ensures supervisors develop a schedule and check in process for volunteer shifts.
7. Volunteer Recognition. Develops and implements on-going recognition and enrichment activities for volunteers that may include large-scale events and department-level appreciation.
8. Issues Management. Responsible for facilitating resolution between volunteers and their supervisors.
9. Administration & Reporting. Prepares monthly statistical reports including tracking of volunteer hours, and additional reports as needed. Includes managing and analyzing volunteer data. Maintains a database of volunteers (i.e. schedules, hours, contact info including email addresses).
10. Professional Development. Expands knowledge pertinent to this position by seeking professional development opportunities regarding trends and best practices in the volunteer field including development and management of staff who lead volunteers.
11. Assists Human Resources Generalist with assigned duties for staff including:
a. Participates in benefits administration, including claims resolution, approval of invoices for payment, distribution of annual employee notices as required and assisting with benefits reporting requirements.
b. Participates in recruitment efforts for exempt and nonexempt personnel (excluding managerial levels and above); helps coordinate the use of temporary employees; maintains applicant flow logs.
c. Conducts new-employee orientations; administers pre-employment tests; conducts reference checks.
d. Runs reports and completes EEO-1 annually for management review and filing; maintains applicant and current employee EEO records.
12. Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.