Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) – Spay/Neuter Clinic
Title: Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) – Spay/Neuter Clinic
Department: Spay/Neuter Clinic
Reports To: Spay-Neuter Clinic Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The RVT has the primary responsibility for the cost-effective, sterile, sanitary, and efficient operation of the SSPCA Spay and Neuter Clinic. This position assists the staff veterinarians in the primary care and treatment of pre-op and postoperative surgery animals and maintains all procedures and practices with the Spay Clinic to meet the highest standards possible.
Essential Job Functions
1. Prepares the Clinic for surgery and performs pre-op surgical duties on animals selected for surgery
2. Provides support during surgery to the Staff Veterinarians.
3. Takes temperature, pulse and respiration.
4. Administers pharmaceuticals such as medications and vaccines
5. Collects and prepares blood, urine, and feces samples
6. Gives intramuscular, intravenous and subcutaneous injections
7. Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
8. Performs the following procedures under the direct supervision of the Staff Veterinarian:
a) Applies casts or splints as necessary
b) Staples or sutures existing skin incisions
c) Administers anesthesia induction by inhalation or intravenous injection
d) Renders emergency animal health care at the scene of an emergency
e) Performs euthanasia in accordance with established policies and California laws
f) Performs routine cleaning and general maintenance of medical equipment, facilities and caging
g) Impounds, quarantines and restrains animals as required
h) Examines animals and make referrals to Veterinarian as needed
i) Microchips animals
j) Orders, unloads, stores, and restocks medical supplies and related equipment
k) Provides post-surgical and treatment information to animal owners
l) Assigns and oversees medically related duties to volunteers and Animal Care Attendants
m) Maintains written records for the animal hospital
9. Maintains cleanliness of the surgery room and other related areas, to provide a safe, clean and sterile environment.
10. Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employers safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.