Behavior and Training Specialist
Job Title: Behavior and Training Specialist
Department: Behavior and Training
Reports To: Behavior and Training Manager/Animal Services Practice Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Starting Salary: $15 – $17 per hour DOE
Schedule: Will include evenings and weekends
The Behavior and Training Specialist works both independently and as part of a team to provide support for all aspects of the Behavior and Training department. A key component of this position is providing behavior education and training to members of the public, staff, and volunteers, requiring experience in scientifically sound and progressive dog training and behavior modification methods. This position will be responsible for teaching group training classes, conducting private behavior consultations, providing shelter-wide behavior support, counseling potential adopters, offering post-adoption support, and assisting with behavior evaluations, in-house behavior modification, and enrichment.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Create and teach a dynamic, progressive dog training curriculum.
2. Conduct one-on-one behavior consultations and provide written reports and training plans.
3. Conduct dog temperament testing for families working with Child Protective Services or other governmental agencies to foster or adopt a child. Write and submit professional reports indicating the safety of a child around the assessed dog(s).
4. Respond to questions from the Behavior Helpline service.
5. Implement and deliver behavior modification and enrichment protocols for in-house animals.
6. Offer training and support for the behavior foster program.
7. Counsel potential adopters on behavioral considerations for specific animals and follow-up with post-adoption support.
8. Represent the SSPCA Training and Behavior department at outreach events, proactively offering behavioral support for the community.
9. Mentor and supervise behavior program interns and apprentices.
10. Promote and emulate exemplary customer service by providing courteous, prompt, and responsive service to internal and external staff and customers.
11. Actively seek and implement new ideas for the current Behavior and Training department to improve and evolve.
12. Maintain documentation and record keeping as needed.
13. Responsible for cleaning and sanitizing all behavior and training spaces in accordance with shelter-wide disease prevention protocols.
14. Assist with the development of programs and training for volunteers.
15. Oversee and work closely with volunteers that are assigned to behavior programs.
16. Work in collaboration with other SSPCA departments.
17. Maintain membership and involvement in national animal welfare and training groups. Keep all training certifications up to date with continuing education.
18. Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.