Animal Care Attendant
Title: Animal Care Attendant
Department: Animal Services
Reports to: Animal Services Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Full-Time)
Employees in this area have the primary responsibility for the sanitary maintenance and care of all animals housed with the SSPCA, maintaining clean and orderly animal housing and employee work areas, assisting with the placement or euthanasia of animals, maintaining the health and welfare of all animals in the care of the society, and assisting the general public as required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for examining and processing animals received by the Sacramento SPCA, which includes properly completing necessary paperwork.
- Maintains proper identification and records on all Sacramento SPCA animals.
- Responsible for feeding, watering, walking and exercising all shelter animals.
- Rinses, scrubs, mops, and disinfects animal cages, hallways, floors, walls and isolation/quarantine areas; cleans water and food dishes and related kennel equipment and facilities.
- Bathes and grooms animals, administers vaccinations and completes preliminary physical examinations in a prescribed manner. Medicates any animal designated for treatment by the Staff Veterinarian.
- Responsible for daily and periodic checks regarding animal health, safety, cleanliness and overall well-being and to report any significant problems immediately to his/her supervisor.
- Assist in conducting behavior assessments and health screenings on incoming animals, to include the decision making process of approval or denial for acceptance into the adoption program
- Performs or assists with the euthanasia of animals in accordance with established laws and Sacramento SPCA policy; disposes of the euthanised animal in accordance with established SSPCA procedure.
- Maintains proper control of DEA controlled substances.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public and to co-workers in a positive, courteous, truthful and tactful manner.
- Communicates principles that convey and impart an understanding of the policies and procedures of the SSPCA to the public.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel