Job Title: Adoptions Supervisor
Reports to: Customer Care Manager, Animal Services Practice Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $14.88 – $17.50
The Adoptions Supervisor plays a key role in the development and success of the Adoptions Department. We are looking for someone who has strong interpersonal skills and understands the importance of developing meaningful relationships. The incumbent of this position must be able to inspire and motivate teamwork for achieving goals by providing education, support, and positive communication with each staff member and volunteer. This position requires an individual who can lead by example, and who is also a confident decision-maker.
The Adoptions Supervisor, under the direction of the Customer Care Manager, is responsible for the direct supervisor of the Adoptions Department staff. This position works hand in hand with the staff providing exceptional customer service to the public, volunteers, and co-workers. This position also has significant responsibility in supervising and coordinating the day-to-day functions of the department staff by ensuring each associate is reaching their targeted performance goals. This role requires a high degree of customer service, great professionalism, adaptability, tact, and self-confidence.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Performs all tasks of Adoption Counselors I and II with proficiency and accuracy.
2. Responsible for the supervision of the Adoptions staff and volunteers. Serves as the initial point of contact for issues or concerns of the Adoptions staff and volunteers.
3. Prepares daily office work assignments, lunch and break schedules, and other projects as needed.
4. Responsible for daily paperwork, ensuring that all revenue is kept secure, and all records pertaining to revenue are turned in at the end of each workday.
5. Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public and to co-workers in a responsive, positive, courteous, truthful and tactful manner and ensures that others working in the Adoptions Department do so as well.
6. Responsible for developing comradery and facilitating a cooperative workplace within the Adoptions department staff and volunteers.
7. Conducts meetings with adoptions staff regarding policies, procedures, training, and customer service, keeping them abreast of all aspects of the department.
8. Works collaboratively with adoptions staff to maintain a healthy and sanitary environment for the customers we serve.
9. Responds to sensitive and difficult complaints from the public, staff and volunteers, and attempts to resolve conflict situations in a professional manner. Sets an example of professionalism, and enforces policies and procedures as it relates to the Adoption Department.
10. Assists or takes the lead in coordinating special events or activities occurring in the adoption center.
11. Project warmth while actively engaging with members of the public throughout the entire facility, and answer questions regarding the adoption process or specific animals.
12. Diligently monitor care, changing behavior, and welfare of all in-house animals, and promptly notify appropriate staff members to any concerning changes or areas requiring attention.
13. Be able to both interpret and respond quickly to the body language both of animals and clients in a council so that both parties feel comfortable and safe.
14. Facilitate meaningful relationships between adopting parties and animals with the mindset of advancing compassion in order to save lives.
15. Be able to adjust and cater manner of education and the topics discussed with each potential adopting party, in order to create meaningful relationships and provide a customized adopting experience for each and every client.
16. Objectively assess the level of compatibility and safety when conducting introductions between client and shelter dogs, while recognizing opportunities to educate adopting parties on dog-to-dog communication, and facilitating the transition of an adopted animal into the client’s home.
17. Keep accurate and dependable records of discussions with potential adopters in regard to health, medical, or behavioral concerns exhibited by adoptable animals, noted either while in our care or by surrendering parties.
18. Make thoughtful, informed, and unbiased decisions when evaluating whether to release an animal to a potential adopter or conduct a denial.
19. Have the ability to tactfully and confidently deny an adoption if the adopting party’s housing intentions or ability to care for the animal does not fall within the SSPCA’s philosophies and guidelines for adoption placement.
20. Assists in the hiring of new Adoptions Staff including reviewing and communicating with potential new hires for Adoptions.
21. Assist with the onboarding of new staff within Adoptions and other departments throughout the organization.
22. Assists the Customer Care Manager with the training and development of the Adoptions staff, so as to provide for their growth and to maximize their potential.
23. Assist Customer Care Manager in creating policy/procedure changes within Adoptions.
24. Assist Customer Care Manager in writing and administering of reviews for Adoptions Staff. Also assists in the writing and administration of Performance Improvement Plans and disciplinary actions for Adoptions Staff.
25. Willing to attend meetings and training sessions as required. Works with the Managers and Supervisors to create a successful team environment.
26. Serves as backup for other SSPCA departments and is able to fill in for Essential Team Members of other departments when needed.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Consistently strives to keep abreast of customer care, sheltering of domestic animals which includes identifying dog and cat breeds, understanding behavior, appropriate care and housing, common health problems, disease symptoms and handling techniques.
2. Understands the dynamics of the change process and assists the Customer Care Manager to ensure that all office activities are reviewed and modified in an effective and efficient manner.
3. Treats all animals humanely, with compassion and concern, both on and off the job and transmits these values to others.
4. Assists in tours, lectures, public education programs, fundraising activities and special events as needed.
5. Attends training as required by the Customer Care Manager to increase skill level and implement cutting-edge techniques to manage and train employees.
6. Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
7. Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.