Job Title: Adoption Counselor/Receptionist (Part-Time)
Reports To: Adoption Manager, Adoption Supervisor, Animal Care Practice Manager
Work Schedule: Part-time. Will include weekend work.
Starting Salary: $11.27/hour
It is the responsibility of the Adoption Counselor, under the direction of the Adoption Manager/Supervisor; to assist the public with specific adoption service needs, answer questions and concerns and provide needed information when called upon. Individuals in this classification represent Sacramento SPCA policies and procedures to the public and are expected to maintain a positive and receptive environment for those individuals visiting or calling the Sacramento SPCA.
Essential Job Functions
- Greet and assist customers entering the Adoptions lobby.
- Listen to customers and provide effective responses and remedies to their questions and needs.
- Counsel potential adopters in selecting a pet that fits their lifestyle, discuss the responsibilities of pet ownership, show animals to prospective adopters during shelter open hours, give information about specific animals and explain the adoption process to shelter visitors.
- Responsible for knowing which animals are available for adoption and knowing the temperaments and personalities of these pets.
- Communicates principles that convey and impart an understanding of the policies and procedures of the SSPCA to the public.
- Type and enter data at a rate of 35 words per minute with minimal errors.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Answers public telephone calls in a professional manner, routes inquiries to the proper person/department and initiates written messages for follow up.
- Treats all animals humanely, with compassion and concern, both on and off the job and transmits these values to others.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.