Adoption Counselor I
Job Title: Adoption Counselor I
Reports To: Customer Care Manager, Adoptions Supervisor, Animal Services Practice Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: Full-time. Schedule is Wednesday-Sunday 10:30 am – 7:00 pm
Salary: DOE. Entry salary is $11.27/hour
The Adoptions Counselor I, under the direction of the Customer Care Manager and Adoptions Supervisor, will deliver excellent service by assisting the public with specific adoption service needs, answering questions and concerns, and providing accurate information to clients. Individuals in this classification represent Sacramento SPCA philosophies and procedures to the public and are expected to maintain a positive and compassionate environment for those individuals visiting or calling the Sacramento SPCA
Essential Job Functions
- Treat all animals humanely, with compassion and concern, and transmit these values to others.
- Keep records of and respond to voicemails that are left by clients on the Adoptions phone line.
- Perform efficient data entry, recordkeeping, filing and other reception duties.
- Assists with special events, including those held off campus, and occasional fundraising as needed.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws, as well as all of the employer’s safety policies and rules. Must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety hazards to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
Requirements, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively with the public, fellow employees, management, and volunteers, as well as other agencies and groups that work in conjunction with the SSPCA.
- Consistently advance compassion and patience towards members of the public, fellow employees, management, and volunteers.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Must be able to utilize email as a primary means of communication, including the use of spreadsheets, scheduling adopted animal rechecks, and scheduling surgeries and other medical procedures.
- Type and enter data at a rate of 35 words per minute.
- Ability to read and retain instructions, short correspondences, and memos.
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License with a clear driving record for at least one year prior to application.
- Basic computer skills using standard office programs such as Word and similar programs.