Job Title: Digital Media and Communications Associate
Department: Public Relations
Reports To: Public Relations Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Part time 20 hrs per week.
This position supports the development of online marketing and fundraising programs that use technology to build, engage, and interact with the annual supporters and service users of the Sacramento SPCA. It assists with the development and editing of creative content for the Sacramento SPCA’s interactive activities, including but not limited to ongoing web development, e-appeals, social media, and video production.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Stand as an on-site reporter for the Sacramento SPCA to develop creative social communications (Facebook, Twitter, NextDoor, etc.) that fully tell the story of the Sacramento SPCA, its people, and our commitment to the community.
2. Develop engaging and creative personalized web and email editorial content for e-newsletters and appeals, event communications, and program promotions.
3. Contribute to the ongoing development of the Sacramento SPCA’s websites and other digital media by crafting compelling, SEO-optimized and brand-adherent copy and digital content
4. Develop motivating and creative video stories to promote all service lines of the Sacramento SPCA from special adoption promotions to special event fund-a-need videos.
5. Utilize Convio Luminate Online to build, send, and analyze email communications to Sacramento SPCA constituents.
6. Edit existing organizational copy to repurpose for the web, e-appeals, etc
7. Produce and send weekly staff newsletter.
8. Develop ad copy for online ad networks including Google Adwords, Facebook, etc.
9. Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
10. Type and enter data at a rate of 40 words per minute with minimal errors.
Additional Duties and responsibilities:
1. Assist in the maintenance of constituent databases, including implementation of donor and constituent segmentation and testing strategies. Monitor, analyze, and report results.
2. Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public and coworkers in a responsive, positive, courteous and truthful manner. Understands and follows the chain of command, and does not participate in triangulation.
3. Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Exceptional writing and editing skills, with experience writing specifically for the web and crafting messaging that provides understanding and motivates readers to act.
2. Ability to effectively operate a personal computer, copy machine and telephone system.
3. Ability to get along and work effectively with the public, management, fellow employees, volunteers, and other agencies and groups.
4. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, employees and the general public.
5. Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and HTML/CSS.
6. Ability to take initiative on assigned projects and to work both independently and as a part of a team.
7. Great attention to detail with knowledge of AP Style news writing.
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
9. Must possess a high degree of discretion dealing with confidential organizational information.
10. Have a valid California Drivers license, and clear driving record for one year prior to employment in order to operate SSPCA automatic and standard transmission vehicles.
Education and Experience:
1. Four-year college degree and two to three years of equivalent work experience.
2. Experience with online communications with an understanding of how emotional and engaging online content drives results.
3. Preferred: Experience with Convio Luminate Online or similar constituent engagement software.
4. Preferred: Experience with video production and editing, including understanding of Adobe Premiere Pro.
5. Allergic condition which would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with animals or chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles, or equipment may be a disqualification.
6. Must stand, walk, bend and stoop frequently to perform duties. Have the ability to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
1. May be exposed to hostile or abusive members of the public. Must be able to deal with an often times emotionally charged public and carry a fast paced and changing work load which at times can be stressful.
2. By nature of the industry, there may be occasional exposure to dead, injured, sick, unruly, vicious, and/or dangerous animals in addition to exposure to parasites and to infectious diseases.
3. Must be available and willing to work weekends, holidays, overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Either employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.