Department: Community Services
Reports to: Thrift Store Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Part-time position, 28 hours per week,
This position assists with supervising staff and volunteers, store presentation, merchandising and inventory rotation, customer service, store sales, and facilitating a safe and healthy working and shopping environment for customers, staff and volunteers.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Provides support to the Thrift Store Manager and Community Services Director in the Manager’s absence.
2. Supervises available personnel, including but not limited to, subordinate employees, AARP enrollees, volunteers and court-appointed community service workers.
3. Payroll Job Duties: Assists the store manager with payroll duties, including collecting, calculating, and entering data, updating payroll records, helping resolve payroll discrepancies, and assisting the store manager with answering payroll questions and requests, while maintaining confidential information.
4. Assists with the store manager with employee reviews and disciplinary action, through professional training/coaching sessions, meetings, and follow-up reports, while maintaining confidential information using the proper chain of command.
5. Oversees store presentation and displays, merchandising, and the rotation of inventory.
6. Assists the store manager with price strategies, enforcement of product safety regulations, supply ordering, and seasonal inventory control.
7. Creates a pleasant and hospitable work environment and maintains good customer relationships.
8. Responds to complaints from the public and volunteers, and attempts to resolve conflict situations in a professional manner. Sets an example of professionalism and follows the policies and procedures of the Sacramento SPCA.
9. Responsible for the efficient expedition of customer transactions as well as ensuring customer satisfaction at the service desk, and an ability to maintain proper control of cash, donations, and supplies under the direction of the store manager.
10. Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
11. Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
Additional Duties and responsibilities:
1. Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public and coworkers in a responsive, positive, courteous and truthful manner. Understands and follows the chain of command, and does not participate in triangulation.
2. Foster a positive workplace and team environment through open communication.
3. Cross-train store associates and volunteers to do various jobs within the thrift store.
4. Assists the store manager with the store’s Loss-Prevention policies and procedures, including store security and theft prevention. This may occasionally involve helping the store manager with conflict situations related to theft prevention.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to motivate, direct and supervise employees and volunteers, and help the store manager discipline staff as necessary.
2. Strong knowledge of pricing, organizing and displaying thrift store merchandise. Including a strong knowledge of antique and collectible items, and identification and pricing of specialty items.
3. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
4. Possesses strong communication and customer service skills.
5. Ability to get along and work effectively with the public, management, fellow employees, volunteers, and other agencies and groups.
6. Ability to plan and implement projects with little supervision and able to work independently.
7. Ability to understand complex instructions.
8. Strong knowledge of marketing, advertizing, and sales promotions a plus.
9. Knowledge of SECOND-HAND retail and supervision of others in this area.
10. Understanding of the value added process.
11. Ability to work well with the public, including public who are occasionally difficult, belligerent, discourteous, and disorderly.
12. Ability to work with minimum supervision.
13. Fluent oral and written communication skills.
14. Ability to effectively operate a personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, and telephone system.
15. Strong knowledge of online shopping websites such as Ebay and Amazon is a plus
16. Ability to identify and accurately price vintage, retro, and designer clothing and accessories.
17. Knowledge of jewelry and fine gem identification and pricing is a plus
18. Past experience working or volunteering in promotional events is a plus.
19. Have a valid California Drivers license, and clear driving record for one year prior to employment in order to operate SSPCA automatic and standard transmission vehicles.
Education and Experience:
1. High school graduate or GED equivalent. Two years college preferred.
2. Three to five years’ experience in retail sales with two to three years experience in a supervisory position.
3. Strong knowledge of the second-hand and antique industry.
4. Analyzing Information, Data Entry Skills, Attention to Detail, Confidentiality, Thoroughness, General Math Skills, Financial Software, Reporting Skills, Verbal Communication and Organization
1. Capable of performing well under varying degrees of pressure.
2. Allergic condition which would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles, or equipment may be a disqualification.
3. Must stand, walk, bend, sit and stoop frequently to perform duties. Have the ability to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
1. May be exposed to hostile or abusive members of the public. Must be able to deal with a variety of public personalities and carry a fast-paced and changing workload that at times can be stressful.
2. Must be available and willing to work weekends, holidays, approved overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Either employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.